Oily skin is typified by shininess, blemishes and pimples. The oily-skin type is not necessarily bad, since such skin is less prone to wrinkling, or other signs of aging, because the oil helps to keep needed moisture locked into the epidermis (outermost layer of skin).
If you are at constant war with heavy flow of sebum on your face, you have an oily skin. Another giveaway is the grease residue that builds on the skin’s surface during the day and easily transfers to anything pressed against the face.
Causes of Oily Skin
- Hormone levels
- Birth control pills
- Cosmetics you use
- Humidity and hot weather
Skin Care for Oily Skin:
The great advantage of oily skin is that it ages at a slower rate than other skin types.
The summer months can be a bane, especially for people with oily skin. In summer, sweat and oil secretions increase. These are deposited on the skin, making it look greasy and also attracting dirt and pollutants. The skin loses its glow and looks dull. Cleansing is of utmost importance during summer. Normal to dry skins need a cleansing cream or gel, while an oily or combination skin should be cleansed with a cleansing milk or lotion. For skin prone to pimples, medicated cleansers should be used. Oily skin needs special cleansing with plenty of hot water and soap to prevent the pores from being clogged. Cleansing grains can be mixed with a skin tonic and rubbed gently on the skin, using a circular motion. Ready-to-use scrubs are also available, which can help. The grains or scrub should be washed off with plenty of water. It is important to rinse well with water in order to get rid of all residues and sweat deposits. In fact, during summer the face should be washed several times with plain water. Avoid harsh products that strip your skin of oil and encourage flakiness. They can cause a reaction known as reactive seborrhoea, where the oil glands work overtime to compensate for the loss of natural oils. You can use rose water, if you have normal to dry skin. It refreshes the skin and imparts a clean and fresh feeling. Avoid skincare products that leave your skin feeling taut and dehydrated. They cause the upper layers of the skin to shrink. This restricts oil flow through the pores leading to blockages and breakouts.
No matter what age or gender a person is, oily blemished skin can be a constant nuisance consuming your personal self confidence and cause painful discomfort. The many causes for oily skin are factors of heredity, diet, hormone levels, pregnancy birth pills, cosmetics, humidity and hot weather are all contributing factors. All though the sebum or oil naturally and temporarily increases during the time of teenage adolescence, but should decrease as we become older and move into adulthood. But there are other hormonal changes that happen during pregnancies, menopause and even excess stress for long periods of time in your life.
How to control Oily Skin:
There are so many harsh and over drying cleansers and products in the market today which in turn produces a lot of oil on your skin. You cannot stop the general oil that is produced from your skin as it is done through your body hormones, but what you can control is the oil that is produced by the cosmetic products used. So many of the astringents & cleansers that are available in the market end up being harsh on your skin which ends up giving trouble. Any product or a soft cleanser that is utilized needs at least 30days to adjust to your skin. That is the time frame you need to give to your skin to understand the cleanser that you are using.
The best way to take care of an oily face is to use a soft cleanser and wash your face twice a day. If you take a shower in the middle of the day do not apply any kind of benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid for your skin.
Remedies at home for Oily skin:
Everyone wants a fair skin & complexion but only a few are blessed with it. But you need to control your mind and not allow it to dominate over your mind that you cannot do anything of your oily skin. There are remedies all around us which we can follow and have a fair skin and complexion. You don’t need to splurge money and drain your pockets in beauty salons and treatments.
There are effective home remedies for oily skin:
1. Aloe Vera is a species of succulent plant that probably originated in northern Africa. Extracts from Aloe Vera are widely used in the cosmetics and alternative medicine industries, being marketed as variously having rejuvenating, healing or soothing properties. Application of Aloe Vera Gel on skin also clears out the skin pores and prevents the greasy appearance. You should apply this gel over your facial skin at least 3 times per day to keep the oil production under control. It will also give you a refreshing look. You can easily obtain this gel from a nearby health food store or a drugstore.
2. Apply a mixture of half a teaspoon of limejuice and cucumber juice atleast 30 minutes before bath.
3. In case the skin is too oily, adding a few drops of eau de cologne will help in refining the skin pores, thereby acting as astringent and preventing pimples.
4. Mix half teaspoon honey with egg white and one teaspoon lemon juice. Add fuller’s earth or brewer’s yeast powder. Mix into a paste and apply. Remove after 20 minutes with water.
5. Mud/clay mask is best suited for oily skin types. One teaspoon of clay powder (green) and a teaspoon of raw honey should be blended well, and the mixture can be applied on the face and left for fifteen minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water. This is safe enough to be repeated at least thrice a week.
6. Applying dilute lemon juice (equal portions of juice and water) and rinsing it with lukewarm water and then again with cool water is also good enough for oily skin.
7. Make a pulp of raw papaya and apply. Papaya has a cleansing action, softening dead skin cells and aiding their ream oval.
8. Using salt spray is a unique and effective home remedy for oily skin. You need to add a teaspoon of salt in a spray bottle and fill it up with clean water. Shake this bottle well so that the salt gets properly dissolved. Close your eyes and spray a small quantity of this salty water on your face once a day and then blot it dry. You will find that the oily appearance has reduced to a great extent.
9. For people who prefer to use cosmetic should avoid as far as possible. Use of cosmetics like foundation or oil based products could trap the excess oil and cause blemishes on the skin. This excess oil needs to be removed and because of foundation it gets trapped. On the other hand oil based products would make your skin appear oilier. If one prefers to use cosmetics, they should use water based products and avoid foundations, oil products, creams or any kind of gels on the face.
10. Milk being very healthy to drink as suggested by all dietitians and nutritionist, it also very healthy for the skin. Application of milk on your oily skin would remove the dryness and also you would see the oil being extracted from your skin. All you need to do is apply the milk and rinse it off after a few minutes with cool water. To increase the effectiveness of the cleansing of milk you can also add lavender essential oil.